Yesterday was spent polishing the copper piping, a trip to Lowe’s once again, and a trip to “Mecca” – Whole Lotta Scrap :o)
We have a Dremel Tool that has been hidden away in cupboards for years. I’ve been a bit skittish using it over the years so it just stays hidden away. The accessory kit comes with the “Jeweler’s Rouge” which I don’t have the foggiest idea how to use it and two of these bits with a screw on top. What the heck are they for?!
Joe was holding my hand while he was driving through Oklahoma, Arkansas, and into Tennessee. This kit comes with some felt discs for polishing and, after much lamentation, I figured out they attach to the screw bits. There is a hole in the center of the felt pad and are meant to be screwed on to the bit.
The larger buffing pads are about the size of a quarter while the smaller and thicker ones are larger than a pencil eraser.
The Jeweler’s Rouge comes in the packet and is about 1″ wide a little over 1/4″ tall and about 1/2″ thick. Never having used the stuff before I didn’t know how to apply this stuff – still don’t.
Joe told me to turn the speed on the Dremel Tool down very low and place the running pad over the rouge to “load” up the pad then use it on the copper.
That fast spinning wheel caused the rouge stuff to have pieces fly off everywhere on my kitchen counter. Little bits of the stuff were everywhere, including the toaster! When I applied the polishing pad to the copper it seemed that nothing happened. So I had to do my thing. I took the stick of rouge out of the packet and rubbed it on the copper. It leaves behind a chalk like trail. When I felt I had sufficient coverage then I used the polishing wheel over the rouge and spread it around. Instead of this beautiful shiny copper surface I had imagined would appear I got some very black feathery marks left behind.
I left out that I had to make a trip to Lowe’s first to get a Brass Wire Brush to clean the whole copper piece first. All the flux Joe had put on the joints while soldering had left a sticky residue that had to first be cleaned off with a good scrubbing with the wire brush and Lava hand soap then rinsed well before I could begin the polishing.
While at Lowe’s I picked up some tack cloths since I would be using a sanding sealer paint stuff on the wood so it would not absorb so much paint when I get to that part. The tack cloths I’ve used many times before in the past. They are cheese cloth loaded with some sticky stuff that makes my hands feel yucky when finished using them. The gunk left over from sanding is picked right up with these tack cloths so I could apply another coat of the sealer and have a very smooth surface. Joe’s orders! I’m going to cover the wood with paper stuff so I didn’t think this step was necessary but he was adamant that I use the sealer. Okay, okay – jeezers!
Now back to my litany. After I had scrubbed the entire piece down with the brass wire brush and lava, rinsed it well with running water then dried it with a towel, I left it to air dry for about an hour. I don’t know what I’m doing here so I want to make sure I don’t cause a problem.
The rouge and the polishing wheel, as I said, left behind a black feathery mess and I was very unhappy with the results. Brasso metal cleaner was my next choice at getting this thing all cleaned up and shiny. Worked really well and NOW I’m pleased with the outcome.
I made a trip to Whole Lotta Scrap and asked Leslie for some help! As soon as I walked in the door I felt like I had entered a special place in Heaven! I love this place!!!!
I told her I was looking for some paper that would be something to use for plumbing. She thought about it and took care of her customers as I wandered the store taking in the sights of beautiful paper and lots of wonderous stuff :o) The back side of this paper is covered with gears. The words I can use on Curtis’ stand. Although “Slacker” is not on this paper and is one of Curtis’ favorite words to use when speaking of himself when he takes a day off. He does work very hard and long hours at his job and has been recognized for it. We are both so proud of him.
I am planning on using the two labels somewhere on the board. The old telephone is intriguing to me and might be used also.
I also want to use the two watch faces somewhere on the wooden base. Kind of make it a collage.
This is the wooden base Joe picked out while we were out shopping day before yesterday. I drug his butt to Hobby Lobby to choose a piece he liked.
I’ve applied the sanding sealer and have used black acrylic paint on the edges.
Now that all the other work is done and out of the way I can begin the really fun stuff.
I’ve decided that I’m far enough along in my paperwork drudgery that I can get back to the Monday, Wednesday, Friday thing and have free days to play around with really important and fun stuff.